Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Monday!

So, as usual, this is going to be all over the place. I don't find much time for blogging so when I do I just have to put it all out there.

We have been doing a lot of Easter egg hunting around the house lately. AM loves it! Sorry the picture is blurry, it was taken with my phone this morning and she was too busy to sit still.

Here she is at her swimming lesson this morning floating all alone on her back. I am so proud of her. I didn't want to get too close and stand over her and mess her up so I just took this from my seat. By the end of the week I will get a better one for you.

Saturday we all headed over to my parents house to visit with my Grandpa. He is my mom's dad and lives in North Carolina. While we were growing up he and my Grandma lived in Chicago so they have never been close to us. That makes each visit super special since we don't get to see each other often. This was the first time that he has met AM. I was really surprised and impressed with how well she did with him. She usually takes a really long time to warm up to people but she really did well with him.

Grandpa is an artist/painter. He does amazing watercolors. He paints with other mediums too, but watercolors are his favorite and most common. Growing up when we would visit, we would love to paint with him or just do any artwork we could. That is why it was so special when (AM decided not to nap) he brought out a package of kids paint and paper that he brought from home to paint with her. Of course she didn't want anything to do with it though. She was warm with him, but not that warm! haha!

This is how she preferred to watch the painting...

Oh well. That was so sweet of him to think of that. I really wish she had done it though. While working in the yard yesterday afternoon, I realized that we should have had her dig in the garden with him while we were there. She loves doing that and so does he. You would be amazed at what this 89 year old can do! It's truly incredible. When we got there on Saturday, he was digging, rearranging pine straw and had already painted a trellis the day before. There is no time to sit still for that man! I just hope that I am like him when I'm that age. Shoot! When I'm 75 I hope I'm like that!

Here is the best attempt we could get at a picture. AM did NOT want to nap on Saturday. After a looooong boat ride, she finally fell asleep 5 minutes before we got home. She napped for an hour or so and then it was time to leave. Needless to say, she was a little unhappy when she woke up so taking a picture was difficult. And I must say that yes, I do realize that my face looks extremely round! Ugh! Not to mention my hair and lack of any makeup. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

One more thing, I need some advice. I never thought that potty training would be a topic of discussion at this point. But I think that AM is really interested in it. I don't know that she is "ready" though. I just can't imagine that she is capable of that kind of bladder control at this point. It seems so young. She always wants to sit on the potty, she asks to. She doesn't go though, she doesn't know what it's for. She knows when she makes a dirty diaper though. Sometimes she will bring me a diaper and tell me "di-de" (that's what we call it). Sometimes, like this morning, she will pull on it, say "di-de" and take me back to her room, lay the blanket out on her bed, get out the wipes and a diaper and lay down. So she is totally aware when she goes. I don't know that she knows ahead of time though. As far as tee-teeing goes, I talk about it all of the time but she has never really known what it is. Last night she was playing in her baby pool in the back yard, and we decided to just bathe her out there so she was naked. When she got out, she tee-teed. So I said "oh! you just tee-teed!" Well a few minutes later when we came inside to get her diaper and clothes on, she tee-teed on the floor and without me saying anything, or even noticing at that point, she said "tee-tee"! I couldn't believe it! I know this is a bit of rambling, but I want you to understand her level of understanding and give me some feedback. I seriously never thought it would happen this soon. And I worry about trying it too soon b/c I know that can be detrimental, just like trying to potty train when learning something else...like swimming! Please help! I don't want to pass this window of opportunity but I don't want to stress her or myself out about it either. I am SOOO not pushing it right now, but what do you think? Thanks!!!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

We waited till simms was 3! I know that seems like ages from now for AM, but I'd been told over and over by other moms how great it worked for them by waiting, and with Cope being a newborn after she turned 2, I really wanted to convience of 2 in diapers! Anyway, Simms was trained in 1 afternoon. I'm serious! And I hate we didn't see yall out on the water this weekend. We took the boat out a few times too! It was beautiful!

Caroline Armstrong said...

I wish we could have come seen yall and Grandpa so badly! But I know he loved getting to meet AM!
The boys seasons are through May but COME ON!!!! we honestly would love to have you any time and sooner than later!!!!!xoxo