Tuesday, February 10, 2009

dogs, dogs, dogs

The past few weeks, Mollie and Beasley have been quite the curious ones. I wish I had my camera all of those times I walked in the door from work to find a crime scene. These two are normally VERY good dogs (and when I say dogs, I hope you understand they are really more than dogs) who are trustworthy and don't get into trouble. Well I don't know if it is spring fever or what, but they have been getting into stuff lately...a lot!


On a normal day, I walk in the door from work around 5:20 and they come running to greet me at the door...ready to eat dinner. It started about two weeks ago, one afternoon I walked in the door and actually had to call for them b/c they didn't come greet me. Well I soon found out why, they were hiding because they knew they would be in trouble. They had taken a bag of Check-ups (a cross between a treat and a rawhide) off of the counter, torn the bag open and helped themselves! I was furious! I think they were more miserable than I was mad though. Their tummies did not feel very well, Mollie's especially. (Beasley typically takes a treat and eats it in his special place and savors it while Mollie on the other hand devours it and hopes for more, and I think that was the case this time too) I actually was concerned about them consuming more than they should of these treats, we wondered if we needed to have their stomachs pumped. I think Mollie helped herself to the majority which was evident by the numerous bathroom breaks that night and the next day on our walk.

The Check-ups incident was just the first of many to follow. Mollie actually has figured out how to nudge the door where the trash can is and dump the trash can over to see what has been thrown away before being consumed- I caught her in the act the other day. Apparently they have grown quite the admiration for left over french fries from Daddy's lunch too. Most recently was yesterday. I came home, no greeting and started looking for the scene. I looked in the backyard and saw the can of Milk Bones had been dragged outside (I left the door open for them yesterday since it was so nice) and they somehow managed to UNSCREW the top off and eat the rest of the treats! This was actually more funny than frustrating. I am glad that they didn't get to the big box of Milk Bone large treats, I did learn to put those up high on a shelf in the back, it's about 12 lb. of treats! How on earth did they carry the big can out there after getting it off of the counter (which by the way it has been there forever and they've never bothered it) and then figure out how to unscrew the top? I actually took pictures this time.




Seriously though, they are 7 and 5 years old, you would think we had puppies in the house! We've always had to be careful with Mollie and food because she will eat until she explodes if possible but this has come to a new level. I can assure you they are getting proper nutrition. No one worries more about the nutrition of their dogs more than Trey and I do. His mother thinks they are starving. I promise you they aren't! We may have switched them to diet food but they are getting plenty!

As you can see Mollie looking on, we've had to create our own child lock system- we have to put a spatula between the handles on the cabinet to keep her out of the trash!



3 comments:

The Cobbs said...

I think that is the funniest story ever! I love it!! :)

Catie Murphy said...

Hilarious! We, too, have our difficulties with our energetic, curious Smokey! Best of luck! Hope that you are feeling good these days! Happy Valentine's Day!

Brittny said...

They know you are pregnant.