Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Last week

Last week we had the pleasure of keeping my parents 3 dogs for several days. Now most people think we are crazy for having 5 labs in the house but Trey and I love it! First of all you have to realize that these dogs all get along really well. One of them is Beasley's mother and another is his sister from the litter. Uncle Buff has been around more than anyone. It really isn't much different to have 5 than 2 except for feeding time. We have so much fun with all of them around. 

Speaking of feeding time, below is a picture I took when I walked in the door one afternoon after work. Apparently they all decided they wanted to eat! They chewed off the corner of the food bin and had a feast!! As you can see, they were able to get the lid off and tip the container over and have their own buffet. Unfortunately Mollie looks like she had the most. She was about to explode!! I'm confident she indulged the most, but I know she had help. The food bin is always in the same spot in the kitchen and Mollie and Beasley have never bothered it. Well, now we had to move it out of their reach.


I was so mad! It was actually pretty funny but it is just so frustrating. Then I went back into the bedroom to change clothes and go to the bathroom, well look at the bathroom! They decided to help themselves to the trash can. Crazy dogs! Gotta love them though.

Yes the dogs stay inside. First of all it was really cold outside. Second, the last time we left all of the dogs outside, Beasley got out of the fence and we have some really horrible neighbors behind us who said if it happened again they would shoot the dogs! Can you believe that?! Anyways, it's just easier to leave them inside, cover up the couches and clean up the dog hair. 

Well Saturday, Trey and I had to go to Tuscaloosa for a kitchen shower for a friend. We had to leave all of the dogs outside b/c we were going to be gone so long. I checked everything, every square inch of the yard and fence to make sure there was nothing they could do to get out. I cleaned up the garage and put a bunch of dog beds and bowls of water in there for them to curl up on to get out of the cold once it got dark. I got home just after 10pm, Trey was staying the night so the guys could play golf on Sunday. All of the dogs were here, I was so pleased. Then the bad news. Beasley came hopping inside unable to use one of his hind legs. I was freaking out to say the least. 

First thing Monday morning, I took him to the vet to see what was wrong. I had to leave him for the day which I didn't mind b/c I had to go to work and knew he was in good hands. Dr. Golden called me shortly after leaving him there and said they were going to have to sedate him in order to do x-rays, I was expecting this. Turns out he had to stay the night Monday so they could monitor him and hope the swelling went down. He displaced some bones in his ankle-I still don't know EXACTLY what that means, I understand it from the x-rays but can't explain it. They aren't broken and aren't necessarily dislocated, kind of a combination of the two if that makes ANY sense at all. I just trust the vets that they know what they are doing. When I picked Beasley up yesterday afternoon I was so excited. He was so excited to see me and looked so much happier I guess b/c of the pain medication. He was in so much pain before. Well before we left, Dr. Golden asked if we could go see another vet in the morning (Wednesday morning) who is an orthopedic surgeon to get her opinion. He trusted her very much, she was on staff at Auburn for a while. (Man, I didn't mean for this post to be so long, sorry!) We went to see the surgeon at 8:30 this morning and by 9 am they had taken Beasley to the back for more x-rays and SURGERY!!!! Bless his heart, he is going to have a metal plate and screws put in his leg. I wanted to cry. At the same time, I knew that he is in really good hands and they were going to take excellent care of him. I just wasn't really prepared for the news. I knew it was a possibility but I didn't realize that the doctor was going to say that in 3 hours Beasley would be in surgery! Anyways, I guess that is basically it right now. I'm going to say a prayer for B and the surgeon right now as they are probably anesthetising him now. It has been so sad to watch him hop around and try to go to the bathroom. Think about it, he only has function of one of his hind legs to squat. Poor thing. Trey has to pick him up to get him in and out of the car. He's 100 lbs so I certainly can't lift him! We did pick him up this morning to put him on the bed too. He usually sleeps with us on the bed but didn't last night b/c he fell asleep on his own in the closet so we let him be. Sunday night I slept on the floor with him. Please say a little prayer for the sweet boy, he is so precious and I just want to take the best care of him possible!


This is Mollie Monday when Trey came home from work, she was waiting on Beasley. He said she didn't even move when we came in (normally she would run to the door), instead she stared over the back of the couch looking at the door waiting on her brother.

Here is Beasley yesterday when we got home from the vet. I couldn't get him out of the car so we had to sit in the driveway and wait on Trey to get home to get him out of the car. How sad! (you can see his leg wrapped up)

No comments: