Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Mind Game and a Green Light

Beasley and I went for his check-up today to see how he has progressed over the last week. I knew it was going to be a good one. How did I know? Well Sunday evening after I took he and Mollie for their afternoon walk around the block I decided to take his bandage off since it was getting ratty and was going to replace it myself since I knew he was going in on Tuesday morning. He has done so well this week with walking on his foot and did on the aforementioned walk. Once I cut the bandage off he immediately did not want to walk on his foot, he'd rather revert to hopping on the three others. I knew he was fine, he was fine one minute prior and the bandage wasn't there to provide support, it was really meant to keep him from licking his wound so it would finally heal up. I called him into the kitchen to get a treat and he hopped. I laughed hysterically and called Trey into the room. He laughed too. Beasley had no idea that he could walk without the bandage. It really was pretty funny. Once you told him to walk, not hop he would, and would do fine! Now we just need to get his confidence up. It's all a mind game! He has been playing us for a while now, thank goodness I took the bandage off at home so the vet didn't end up doing more x-rays and tests to see why he couldn't walk when it came off!

Beasley got the green light to go swimming! I am so excited because I am off tomorrow and planned on going to Auburn in the morning to paint the nursery (a new color this time) and be back for the afteroon by the pool. Now the dogs can come with me!! They LOVE to swim. He still cannot jump in, I'll have to lead him in on the steps but this is progress. We have to keep his foot covered when he's not swimming though so it can heal. He's not released 100% yet. We still can't let him go to the lake or run around like a fool but he can go on a longer walk as long as he feels like it and he can swim in the pool. We don't have to go back to the vet unless something happens and we feel like he needs to. There is still a chance that he will need to have the plate removed but we are going to see how he does for a while and see if his confidence comes back. You have no idea how relieved I am!!!!!!!! I will take some pictures tomorrow and share them with you. I am looking forward to tomorrow like you can only imagine.

1 comment:

Caroline Armstrong said...

Oh YAAAYYY!! That is such great news for Beasley. And hysterical! It shows you how doggies are really NOT that different from us humans:) Y'all have fun swimming and I cannot wait to see how the room turned out!