Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Several Things

Well, I guess a lot has been going on. First of all...we're moving back to Auburn! We decided that must be where we are supposed to be and the house is still sitting there waiting on us so we're not going to waste any time. I took one load of things yesterday, just some kitchen stuff. I can't really be of much help in my current condition so I figure I'll just take a load here and there of the smaller things I can handle. I plan on taking another load tomorrow. We will probably be in for good in the next couple of weeks. Trey and I are so excited! I'm so excited because now Anne Morgan will get to have her own room. 

Speaking of Anne Morgan's room, my mom and I made a good bit of progress yesterday with the bedding. We ordered some fabric and have nailed down what we are going to do. Now I am just having fun digging through some of my old furniture and things here in my parents house that I can use in her room. Once we make some more progress I'll post some pictures. 

The next update has to do with Beasley. We've had a few setbacks. He was doing really well for a couple of weeks; we were so amazed at how quickly he was healing. About two weeks ago he starting picking his foot up again and wouldn't put it down. I took him back for a check-up and they put him on some more medication thinking it was an infection but weren't sure if it was just on the surface of the wound or deeper. The next day he started doing better again. This improvement continued for a couple of days and then by the end of last week he started hopping on three legs again, even worse. It looked like we were back to where we started. I took him in yesterday for another check-up after watching him for several days. To make a long story short, after x-rays, wound cultures sent to Auburn , joint fluid samples taken and a lot of expensive medication we still aren't 100% sure what the problem is. They noticed that one of the screws is slightly loose, not much and shouldn't be the cause of the problem but said that Beasley may just be one of those dogs that isn't comfortable until the plate is removed. He is doing SO MUCH better today. It seems like the anti-inflammatory that he is taking really helps and every time he stops it he digresses. Tomorrow we should hear from Auburn what the cytology reports said. Hopefully there isn't an infection where the plate was implanted. If that's the case we are looking at another surgery to flush it out. There is also a chance that we may have to do another surgery in a couple of weeks to remove the plate. The bone is healed and is solid so he would be ok if it came out, we just don't want to have to go through another surgery. I don't want to put him through that again (or myself) nor do we really want that much more expense added. Obviously we will do what we have to to pay for this and take care of this sweet thing, but his bill is running pretty high these days! I sure hope we don't have to go through another surgery. And I hope he is back to 100% by the time Anne Morgan gets here. I am so worn out from all of this and I have completely gotten out of my exercise routine. I can't walk the dogs anymore, well we can go for 10 minute SLOW walks whereas before we walked 3-4 miles a day. I don't like walking by myself without them. Please say a prayer for Beasley, it's so hard to watch him go through this. Normally this is his favorite time of the year filled with a lot of swimming at the lake and in the pool. It would be nice if it's just still sore and the anti-inflammatory is all he needs for now (except for the fact that it is an extremely expensive medicine-we're looking for a less expesive alternative, surely there is one!). 

One more thing, I have to brag on Beasley. When I picked him up yesterday the nurse commented on what a sweetheart he is. She said that when she did his x-rays she just picked him up and put him on the table without sedation! They always sedate them to do the x-rays. In fact, she said he is the only big dog she would even consider not sedating! I was so proud of him-not surprised though :) They did have to later sedate him though to take the cultures, etc so he was a little woozy when I picked him up. 

3 comments:

The Young Family said...

Poor Beasley! I am so sorry he has to keep going through all this. I know that is frustrating and certainly know vet visits arent cheap! Will certainly be praying for a speedy recovery!

Catie Murphy said...

Great to get your update and I can't wait to see your baby bedding and room plans! So sad to hear that Beasley is still suffering! We'll also pray for a quick recovery!

Brittny said...

I am so excited you are moving to Auburn!!!! That is going to be so much fun!!!! And I know you are excited b/c it's going to be an easy move! After coming up for Easter we decided we would try to get Montgomery for our next move so we can be close to family. I'm super, super excited! We just pray it will work out. Of course it'll be 2 years before we move again, but we have to start thinking about it soon, so why not now?